Bridgetown makeup artist Samantha Oliphant has been working in the industry for nearly 10 years.
At the beginning of her career she worked along side and assisted one of the top makeup artists in Perth. This instilled a great passion for the wedding industry and taught her how to create the perfect natural makeup look for brides.
She recently moved to the South West with her husband and two daughters. She is really enjoying being part of the wedding industry down here and can’t wait to be a part of more and more weddings in the South West.
I have already had the chance to work with Sam, and witness her awesome work. And we have decided to collaborate; lucky for one winner, the makeup trial in my Engagement Giveaway will be performed by Sam herself. Sam & I caught up for coffee and I was able to hear from the expert herself about all things ‘wedding makeup’
I decided to do a quick google search and ask Sam these three most common questions:
How do I find the perfect makeup artist?
You should definitely check out a makeup artists work online and get to know their style Their work should match the style of wedding and look you want, be that natural, glam, boho etc. I also think getting recommendations from other people is a great – Listen to other people’s experiences with a makeup artist. You want to make sure that the makeup artist will be the right fit for what you want on your special day, and make you look and feel your best!
Should I have a makeup trial?
Yes I think trials are great. It is a way of getting a preview on how you are going to look and feel on your wedding day. Also if you are not used to wearing makeup it can give you a chance to get to know the feeling so you are more comfortable. Also if you get your trial at the same time as your engagement shoot, you will be able to see how your makeup looks in the photos.
How much time should I allocate for makeup inc the bridal party?
Every makeup artist is different with how much time they allocate. I personally like to give myself 1 hour per person knowing it will not take that long. I never like to feel rushed, so I prefer the extra time to make everything perfect.
Bridgetown Makeup Artist Sam’s Top 5 Tips!!
1. Always get your own lipstick for the day. Then you don’t need to worry about how you are going to touch up you lips.
2 Any facial waxing should be done at least 4 days before the wedding. Sometimes makeup can have trouble staying where someone has been recently waxed
3. Do not change your skin care routine within the few weeks leading up to your wedding day. This could cause your skin to change and become irritated. Don’t put on a fancy face mask the night before without testing it first.
4. Give false lashes a go. Alot of makeup artist now use individual lashes. These are not as scary and look so natural and beautiful. They really complete the look and can enhance your eyes.
5. Leave it to the experts. A good makeup artist should have all the correct products in their kit. Don’t bring all your makeup along. Trust in your makeup artist that they will choose the correct products for you.
Sam’s 10 questions to ask your makeup artist
1. How long have you been doing makeup for?
2. Do you have experience with wedding makeup?
3. What is your style of makeup?
4. Can you travel to me on the wedding day?
5. Are there any extra costs? Eg. Travel, false lashes..
6. Do you do a makeup trial/preview?
7. Will you bring an assistant or are you able to do the wedding party on your own?
8. Do you need me to purchase any products to use on the day?
9. What order would you like to do the bridal party?
10. Will my makeup last all day, or will I need to touch it up?
Bridgetown Makeup Artist Sam can be found at SO Makeup on insta @so.makep_artistry And don’t forget to enter the Down South Engagement Giveaway for the opportunity to have Sam do your makeup trial for free! x